Have you faced with a flea problem? Sometimes your pet can bring these friends accidentally. They are small, persistent and blood-sucking. Hearing the word “flea” many people make a wry face with disgust. But what to do if your pet has become the carrier of this parasite and how to help him to get rid of fleas?
What Are Fleas?
The problem of fleas is a common among all people who have dogs and cats. You may also face with this problem when you move into a home where previously lived pets.
So, what are actually fleas? Fleas are small wingless insects. There are about 1,400 species of them. They are widespread everywhere.
These small pests can transmit diseases and cause tapeworms and the flea bites can distress pets and their owners.
How to Get Rid of Fleas Fast?
If you have noticed that your pet has fleas, use the following tips on how to get rid of fleas fast and easy:
- Tip 1. Wash all pet bedding in the washing machine. Wash also all bedsheets, bathroom rug and the throw on the sofa. All pet beddings should be washed every week at above 50°C in order to kill eggs and fleas.
- Tip 2. In order to remove eggs of fleas, you should vacuum all furnishings, carpets and floors everywhere your pets sleep. From time to time try to shake pet bedding outdoor to fall fleas and their eggs off.
- Tip 3. Reclaim your yard. Before you let your pet outside, mow down grass and prune foliage, then trim them to expose larvae of fleas to the sun. You can also use Eucalyptus leaves and cedar wood chips putting them in the affected areas.
- Tip 4. Bath your pet. Buy a special fleas shampoo and bath your pet. Choose it carefully as those shampoos that contain conventional insecticides can harm or irritate your pet. Begin to bath the neck of your pet first. In such a way, fleas will not jump up to the head, because you should be aware that it is not allowed to wash the head of your pet.
- Tip 5. Use flea-killing products. You may buy special oral medications, spot-ons or flea-collars. But be careful, collars can irritate the skin of your pet and they can give no effect.
How to Get Rid of Fleas by Natural Ways?
There are also a variety of ways to kill fleas in your house by means of natural ways. The most popular are the following:
- Yeast. You may use yeast as a weapon. Buy nutritional yeast or barm and rub it into the skin of your pet. Sometimes you may add yeast to the wet food of your cat or dog.
- Herbs. Take fresh leaves of rosemary and boil them in the water. Wash your pet with this mixture and allow your pet to air dry.
- Citrus spray. Take a lemon, slice it and boil it in the water. Use this mixture for damping the fur of your pet.
How to Treat Flea Bite?
If a flea has bitten you, you should notice a tiny dark spot that is surrounded by a reddened area. As a rule, swelling is not so noticeable. One flea can bite you three times in the same area searching a blood.
A flea bite is not dangerous for your health, but it is unpleasant and discomfort. It doesn’t hurt, but after several bites you may begin to suffer from an allergy that can lead to eczema.
The most effective way of bite treatment is to clean your wound. You may clean it with water, soap and alcohol or cover it with cold compresses.
To relieve swelling and itchiness you may use special anti-histamine creams. You should consult your doctor in the following cases:
- Bite seems to be infected.
- The swelling of the bitten area is getting worse.
- Pain is very severe.
How to Protect Your Pets from Fleas?
It doesn’t matter what you do, how often you wash your pets, it is very difficult protect them fully against catching fleas. When your pets have caught fleas, they will try to bite the fleas, scratch themselves more often. In this case, frequent grooming and a flea comb are very sufficient.
A fight against fleas is not as easy as it may seem. That is why if you have noticed some signs of fleas appearing, use the abovementioned advices how to get rid of fleas and kill these unpleasant friends of our pets. But if you see an irritation, for example, reddening you should better consult with your vet.
Related articles on the topic: How to Get Rid of MothsMore similar:
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
- How to Get Rid of Moths
- Effective Ways to Get Rid Of Ants in and Around Your Home